Monday, May 21, 2012

Repurpose: Diaper Box into Denim Box


 My 12 year old twins go to middle school and have to wear uniforms and didn't have any room for all these extra clothes in their dresser.  So they have been keeping their clothes in a diaper box under the bed.  I promised that we would turn the diaper box into something else that didn't look like a diaper box, or have a baby on the front.  I am just now getting around to keeping that promise.  I don't know why it took me so long, it was so easy and quick!


I covered the diaper box with some heavy duty denim fabric that I bought at a yard sale a couple of years ago.  This was incredibly easy!  It only took about 15 minutes.  Making the liner in easy too.  There is a tutorial on Make it Love it if you are interested in making your own liner.  

When I made my liner, I just measured each side of the box and added an inch to the top and side for seam allowances.  Then I sewed all the pieces together.  Fold over the edges and sew a seam casing for the ribbon and you're done!  Easier said than done, right?  It's really not that hard.



Here is how I recovered my box.  This is actually the second one that I did.  My boys loved the first one so much, that I decided to make a second one.  They fit perfectly under the bunk beds and look so much organized than the system they are using now.

First, measure the top of your box.  Mine is about 11.5 inches tall.  So I made sure to cut about 15 inches around the box so I could fold over the sides into the box.  More on that later.  The first box I use was very sturdy.  So I cut off the flaps that fold to make the top.  This box has been used and abused by my boys.  They folded the flaps into the box and used packing tape to secure them, so I left it that way.  I figured that the box would be that much sturdier.

Cut your fabric around the box as shown.  I cut 15 inched around the entire box. Now cut a square out for each corner.  I measured 2 inches  out from the corner and then cut the square out.


This is the spray adhesive that I used.  There is NO sewing to recover the box, only to make the liner.


Spray the bottom of the box.  It is best to do this in a well ventilated area.  Outside would be best.
Place the box in the center of your fabric.  Then turn the box upside down and smooth the fabric over the bottom of the box.


Now for the sides:  I did the longer side first.  Spray the whole side of the box and smooth the fabric over the box.


Now spray the inside of the box, just enough for the fabric to cover.  You don't have to spray the whole inside. Then repeat on the other side.


This is what your box should look like now.  The long sides are done and now we are ready to do the short sides.  Before you spray for the short side, you need to spray a little to attach the remnant from the long side onto to the short side.
 

Now you need to make sure your fabric folds this way.  You are going to spray the short side of the box, but as you attach your material to the box you need to fold in the sides.


Here, my fabric is attached and the sides are folded.  Now spray into the fold and apply pressure.


Spray the inside of the box to attach the rest of the fabric and then repeat on the other side.


Now your box is done and the liner can be made.  So cute and easy!



Vote for us on Picket Fence by clicking this button!

28 comments:

Strictly Sewing said...

I really like this idea! Those wicker baskets are expensive and this would be great to store toys in and look cute at the same time! Luv it! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

This is such an awesome idea!! I could use it to store my flip flops for the summer :)

New follow from the blog hop :) Hope you get a chance to stop by my blog :)

xo, Jersey Girl

hairsprayandhighheels.blogspot.com

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

I really like this idea, but I'm afraid I would mess it up! I have twins, too, by the way :). They're nine. Your boxes look great. Thanks for sharing at our Handmade Tuesdays party.

Unknown said...

I love it! I have so many of those boxes. This is just so smart. I'm posting it to my Facebook page. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

Unknown said...

This is great! It looks so much better than where it started!

Sarah @ naptimedelights.blogspot.com

KC Coake said...

A-Maz-ing! It looks great. Great idea and looks pretty easy.

Unknown said...

That looks so good. I've seen diaper boxes recovered before, but this one is definitely the best! Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

These are so cute! What a great way to use old diaper boxes. We have so many diaper boxes around or just end up putting them out with recycling, I will have to try this!

I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-your-talent-thursday-8.html. I hope to see you there!

Tami Michel said...

We all definitely have plenty of those! :) I MUST do this!
I would love to invite you to join us and link up at our Friday Block Party at Curb Alert! The link is live now and throughout the weekend. Hope to see you there!
http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/05/friday-block-party-6-feature-from-party.html
Tami @ Curb Alert!

Seaweed and Raine said...

Great job covering the boxes. I have used nappy boxes to make a cube shelf too... sadly I didn't cover them first! :)

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. said...

This is cute too! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party!

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

Recipes We Love said...

Too cute!

Rachel said...

You can't even tell it's a diaper box, it's so cute! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Ruth said...

Brilliant! love this. It looks so very stylish and professional!

Carol said...

Very cute - and you are right - they are so easy to do! I did something very similar to this for my grand daughter's nursery - only I cheated and didn't do the liner. My daughter said that no one was going to see the inside since they sit up on a shelf - so she didn't want me to line them. Would love for you to check it out and let me know what you think!
Hugs -
Carol

Katie @ Made to be a Momma. said...

LOVE this!! I have so many diaper boxes laying around...and could use some more storage! I would LOVE to have you share this at my link party! I am your newest follower...would love to have you check out my place too!

http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/05/homemade-by-you-13-giveaway.html

gigi123 said...

Fantastic idea! Another project to add to my long list :)

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

This turned out so incredibly CUTE!! I love the fabrics you chose. In a very weird way, I'm wishing my kids were in diapers still so I could have lots of boxes!! I would be delighted for you to share this with my readers over at Mop It Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/05/mop-it-up-mondays-18.html

{HUGS},
kristi

Jill said...

Great looking box now! Well done for finally getting around tuit!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Katie @ Little Becky Homecky said...

Super cute!! What a great way to reuse the box! love this!

Lesley said...

I'm so pleased I saw this article about covering a box in denim and being resourceful.
I've been cutting up my hubby's worn out corduroy pants into granny squares so that I can sew a cushion cover and a cell phone pouch for my Tracfone smart phone LG500G. The phone has a touch screen which I don't want to get scratched. I cut up Alan's old blue check shirt into granny squares and cut a giraffe motive to sew on to the phone cover.
I have a whole pile of old denim jeans, some are too small for me and some are worn out, I'm going to cut them up in granny squares sew them together with check prints and you can do box covers like your super one, or even make cushion covers, curtains, tote bags, etc.
The pants part of the jeans can make a nice denim hand bag.
I'm all for recycling and enjoy the challenge of having to be resourceful and creative in getting something for nothing.

Unknown said...

Girl, these are awesome! I have boxes saved to do this very same things. Thanks so much for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a great idea - really cute!

Jen Rollins said...

Visiting from Whimsy Wednesdays and this. is. cute!! I have TONS of these just waiting to be recovered - yay!!

Kathryn Pepper said...

This is a great idea for all those diaper boxes laying around! I'm featuring this on the link party tonight...thanks for linking up!

Kathryn
destinationcraft.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Great idea. I have so many boxes and never know what to do with them, other than throw them away!

Classic NYer said...

OMG I love it! Meaning, both the box and the idea of repurposing.

Unknown said...

I pinned your repurpose idea from Pinterest and finally did 2 boxes! Great for storing my son's cars and trucks! Diaper boxes are waaay sturdier than these canvas boxes at the big box stores! Thank you for taking the time to describe each step plus photos!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...