Thursday, October 25, 2012

Winkerdoodles: Blowfish Pumpkin

Today we have a fabulous guest post from Deena over at Winkerdoodle's World of Whimsy.  She is going to show us how to make a Blowfish Pumpkin.  You really have to see this one!  But first, let's learn a little about Deena.

****************************************************

Hi Babblings Friends! 

My name is Deena and I blog over at Winkerdoodle's World of Whimsy (http://winkerdoodles.com). My blog is a place where you can get some awesome recipes for easy and delicious sweets and EASY dinners. We're all busy... why not let me help you find something yummy for dinner... AND DESSERT!  (I mean... who doesn't need a little "Sugar Therapy") I also share some fun and unique ideas for crafting for holidays. Oooo... we've got some really NEAT things coming up!!!

Today, I'm excited to share a fun and unique idea with you for Halloween. 

Is there a Halloween pumpkin carving contest at your office? Wanna win?? Then you've got to try this! 
I've made a fun pumpkin and, though it's a bit time consuming, it's really fun and looks awesome! You will be the winner of any contest... HANDS DOWN!


Blowfish Pumpkin

You will need:

  • 2-3 bags of candy corn
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • small "silica" packets (the ones that say "do not eat" when you buy shoes, etc.)- Optional
  • sturdy base to put your pumpkin on (I covered a round cookie sheet with foil)
  • a drink holder from a fast food restaurant. (You could use anything... but this made it easier to turn
  • Cardboard or poster board cut into "fins" and a tail. (I went one step further and made mine out of sugar... but, the moisture from the pumpkin melted the candy after a while. Cardboard or colored poster board will work great. 
  • brown paper sack
The Process

Begin by cutting a hole in the BOTTOM of your pumpkin and cleaning out the contents. Now, cut out two eyes.  I left a section of the eye and colored it black to look like the blowfish is looking off to the side. (see picture). Before you color the eyes... clean the outside of the pumpkin with an all-purpose cleaner, like 409. 

Now, you will want to cut out slits in your pumpkin for the tail and fins. Test the fit and make sure the fins and tail will fit in the slits after putting hot glue on them. (Make the slits a little roomy) Set the fins and tail aside. Don't put them in until the end. Your pumpkin will want to "ooze" like pumpkins do... and it will get all over your fins and tail. 

At this point, you'll want to turn your drink holder upside down and cover it with your crumpled brown paper sack. This is your stand. Place your stand on your sturdy base. Use hot glue to attach the stand to your base. (Again, I covered my round baking sheet with foil and glued to that). Color your eyes black, if you do your eyes like I did.

Now... the FUN part. Heat up your glue gun and begin attaching candy corn in rows on your pumpkin. This will take a while, so relax and have fun with it. It's neat because you can see your pumpkin transform into a blow fish in front of your eyes. 


Just keep going until your entire pumpkin is covered. When you're done,  cover the ends of your fins and tail with hot glue... one at a time... and insert them into the blow fish. 

YOU DID IT! Now, take photos of your pumpkin blowfish and carefully transport it to your pumpkin competition!! Soak up all the praise! 

Thanks again for letting me come and show you a fun Halloween craft! Please head over to my blog and check it out! I'd love to have you join me as we explore lots of new and fun ideas for the holidays! We've got LOTS in store!!! 


*****************************************************
 
Thanks Deena!  Your pumpkin is fantastic!

Briana

9 comments:

meandmr.com said...

Newest follower here! I found you through the Friday link up! Cute blog, I can’t wait to read more!
-meandmr.com

mail4rosey said...

I'm following you now from the weekend blog walk.

I bet the kiddos love these when they see them, I know mine would. Thanks for sharing a unique and really cool craft!

The CSI Girl said...

I am following you now from the SUnday Hop. Love your crafty style and would love to have you as a guest judge on my blog sometime. Also, you can do tutorials. If you are interested, email me. dee@thecsiproject.com
Come on by!
www.thecsiproject.com

Jill said...

That blowfish pumpkin is AWESOME!!!!

Just stopped by to let you know that I featured your spooky ghosts on my round tuit post this week!
Round Tuit 125
Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Carrie said...

Wow!! that is such a cute idea!!

KC Coake said...

Wow! That is amazing!

Dani - Diane - ATA Girls said...

WOW - incredible! I'm saving this for next year - Thanks for sharing the great idea. Joining from Wordless Wednesday - http://allthoseartsygirls.blogspot.com/

Nicole said...

That is so amazing!

Margaux said...

I never would have thought of this, very cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...