Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Very Special Birthday


Our Mom's birthday is today!  And our Dad's birthday was last Sunday!  We are so thankful for the example that they have been to us.  

They have taught us so many skills such as music, hard work, welding, changing the oil, driving a standard transmission, changing the tires, gardening, performing in front of people (we had a family band), canning, cooking (Mom could make a wonderful dish by just throwing things together), baking, riding horses, working at the ranch, shoveling manure, blacksmithing, dutch oven cooking, milking the cow and the list goes on and on...


We had such a fun childhood and it was because of the experiences our parents provided for us.  When someone had an activity, the whole family helped.  We worked hard and played hard.  Life was fun!

One fun memory we share is the time our Dad ran into the house and said he found gummi worms hiding outside under the dirt clods.  We recently had part of our field tilled up and he went out one morning and hid gummi worms under the big dirt clods.  We thought it was amazing that gummi worms were coming out of the ground!  Now that we are older, Brittany has tried to recreate this experience for her kids, but she said that it needs to be a cooler morning and not in the middle of a hot day...the gummi worms melted.  :)

So I talked to my Mom this morning and asked what she wanted to do on her birthday today.  Most Mom's might go and get a pedicure or go shopping or even relax, not our Mom.  She wants to try our her new weed eater and remove the nails out of the boards from the chicken coop they tore down.  Only our Mom...we love her!

We are thankful and blessed to have them as our parents! And love them to pieces!

What have your parents taught you?


Please take a moment to vote for us on Picket Fence! It only takes one click!  Thanks!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post! I would say one of the greatest things my parents taught me was the value of hard work. We raised our own meat and had a half acre vegetable garden. Even though I dreaded getting up at 6:30am during Summer vacation to weed the garden every day, I really think it instilled a work ethic into me and my siblings.

Thanks for linking up to the Mingle With Us Blog Hop this week. I'm happy to be following you back. :)

Just Jaime said...

Happy birthday!

Love your new blog design!

Just Jaime said...

Happy birthday!

Love your new blog design!

Unknown said...

I'm your newest follower!
Blessings :)
Janiene

Tranae said...

Happy Birthday to your parents. I'm stopping by from the blog hop. Now following

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Sounds like you have some wonderful parents. Happy Birthday to both of them.
I'm following you back from the Blog Hop.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your parents :) I too am thankful for all my parents have done. My dad worked 3 jobs to support us (a family of 4) while my mom was a SAHM. They are my rock and I don't know what I'd do without them...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm following you back. I look forward to reading more :)

Katie said...

happy birthday to your parents! I am also SO thankful for my parents and consider them one of the greatest blessings in my life! enjoy the time with them!

Jenelle said...

Thanks for stopping by and following Single Mom Inspirations.
Wishing you mother a Happy and Blessed Birthday with many more to come. What a great tribute post! Thanks for sharing. My mom has taught me so much over the course of my life to even try and go into detail.



Happy Sunday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...