Monday, September 12, 2011

Chore Chart

Here is our latest and greatest Chore Chart that we are using in our family.  Having seven kids requires a lot of organization and planning.  Every once in a while, I switch things up to make doing chores more exciting.    

So I used my Silhouette SD and cut out this shape.  It is the chore_chart_grid_C00569_19210.  I increased the size and printed it out on about 4 sheets of vinyl that were paper size.  And I stuck it right on my refrigerator.

Then I used my Silhouette to print and cut out the coordinating icons that you can find in their online store.  It is great that the Silhouette has the option to print from your computer and then cut on the machine.  (Just make sure to print the registration marks on your paper.)  Before I printed, I sized down the circles to fit the size of my magnets (3/4 inch).  I added color and made sure to "tell" the machine not to cut out the shapes, but only the circles.


Here are the magnets that I bought.  I picked them up at Wal-Mart. And I used all fifty of them!

I used a cookie sheet with a paper on it to hold the magnets in place while I glued.


I used Tacky Glue to glue the papers down.


And then I used a Clear Gel Tacky Glue to glue the glass marble shapes (that are flat on one side) that I picked up in the floral department section.  (One tip that I learned is to put the glue on the marble and then attach it to the magnet.  It helps prevent the ink from smearing.)


I continued gluing the rest of the papers onto the magnets.  As you can see, I color coded the chores into groups.

Purple - put folded clothes away
Black - Practice piano
Green - Brush teeth
Orange - Homework
Pink - Practice stringed instruments (violin, cello, etc.)
Red - Clean room
Yellow - Make Bed
Blue - Other chores around the house


Next, I finished gluing the glass marbles onto the rest of the magnets.  I had so many marbles, that I was able to be picky with which ones I used.  Some of them had blemishes or weren't as large as I wanted.


Here's what the finished magnets look like.  I really liked the music ones!


Now onto the chore chart...


So here is the finished product:

I'm trying a new system, which has seemed to work great so far.  By this time in my children's lives, they know what they have to do and what needs to be cleaned.  So after they do their "jobs" they move the magnet next to their name and that shows me what they have done.

Everyone pretty much has the same jobs, except for the "blue magnets", or the household chores.  

So here's the catcher, whoever gets up first picks what house job they want to do, they finish it and then move the magnet for that job to their name.  This means that the person who waits to do their chores usually ends up with the job that no one wants.  These kids are running to get their jobs done, so they don't end up with the bathroom!  Haha!  I'm loving it!


14 comments:

Bridget Miller said...

What a great Idea!

Stephanie said...

That is so cute--I love all the color coding!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Luv it. You are so creative. U could sell these. I would buy one!
*teanne

Marie said...

Brilliant idea! Love that whoever gets up first gets to choose!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Peaches said...

I love this!! My favorite is the rule of whoever gets up first and to there chores picks first. I think I need to implament that idea with our chores.

BTW it turned out beautiful. This would be one of those projects I would be constantly looking at and smiling everytime I passed it.

paige said...

This is so cute! I just made a chore chart for my toddler and really wanted to do a magnet one, but couldn't find a metal sheet...a cookie sheet was a great idea! I think your idea would be perfect for my brand new linky party!

Creative Genius @ http://www.thecreativepaige.com!

Honey at 2805 said...

A neat idea for those sith kiddos. Really must help with scheduling and organization!

Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday. You are an asset to making the party a success. I appreciate you and I hope you will make this a weekly stop.

Ellen said...

How great is this...nice job.
Hugs,
Ellen

annies home said...

cute idea

Jennifer said...

Hee! Fabulous and fun!! The music magnets are my fav!!

Thanks for linking up to Show & Share!

Becky Marie said...

OH. MY. HECK! I am making this RIGHT NOW. Thanks for the inspiration! LOVE IT!

Jenni said...

temped to make something like this for me and the bf! even people without kids need a chore chart!

Jenni x

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

thanks for linking up at serenity you.

i'm lovin this chore chart. and i've featured it on serenity saturday

hope to see you there again this week

Naatasha xxx

Alicia @ Sweet Ava Kate said...

I LOVE this idea and your magnets are too cute! I've been looking at chore charts lately, trying to find the best one... I think I found it! :)
I discovered you at Project Queen's link party. I'm your newest follower. Hope you stop by for a visit at www.sweetavakateblogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...