Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Thrifty Rebel: Christmas Tree Ornaments

Today we have Tuula from The Thrifty Rebel here with us today!  She is going to show us how to make some Christmas Tree Ornaments out of plastic curtain rings.
Let us get to know a little about Tuula first....
********************************************************


I'm just thrilled to be guest posting here at Babblings and More today. Thank you to Brooke, Bridget, Briana and Brittany for giving me this opportunity to share.

My name is Tuula and I blog over at The Thrifty Rebel. I've always loved decorating, gardening, crafting, and thrifting. I live over an hour away from the closest craft store so almost everything I use in my projects is found at thrift stores, flea markets, auctions, and garage sales. I've been known to lug home boxes of Christmas supplies in the middle of summer after hitting it big at an auction. Great deals know no season. 

I believe that anyone can create a home that they love without it costing a fortune. What I enjoy most is reusing and repurposing things in unexpected ways. Like making a snowman Christmas tree ornament out of plastic curtain rings.

curtain-ring-snowman-tree-ornament


A couple of months ago I thrifted a huge bag of different sized plastic shower curtain rings and regular curtain rings from the thrift store for $1. I had no idea what I was going to do with them at the timebut I hoped I would think of something. I have a bad habit of doing this. I guess I like the challenge, and sometimes I'm lucky and inspiration doesn't take too long to strike. Since then I've used them in the following projects.

shower-curtain-ring-pumpkins

shower-curtain-ring-Christmas-tree


After these projects I still had some curtain rings left over so I decided to make some snowman tree ornaments. I started with a shower curtain ring and a smaller regular curtain ring. Before starting I made sure to close the shower curtain ring. 

curtain-ring-snowman-tree-ornament

I always have a lot of Christmas craft supplies around so I went through my stash and found these white/gold glittery pipe cleaners. I wrapped them around each ring until they were completely covered.

curtain-ring-snowman-tree-ornament

Then I glued the rings together using my glue gun.

To decorate my snowman I poked a hole into a decorative present with scissors and glued it onto the hanger of the curtain ring, which I made sure was on the side when I glued the rings together.  

curtain-ring-snowman-tree-ornament

Then I cut some small ribbon to look like a scarf and added a few other decorations to dress it up. Here's my snowman hanging on my tree. I still have a few curtain rings left so there will be another project or two in the future, although I haven't thought of them yet. lol.

curtain-ring-snowman-tree-ornament


I also like to repurpose when I'm decorating inside the house and outside in the garden. In my recent craft room makeover I repurposed an old pine wardrobe into a computer armoire by turning it upside down and giving it a total makeover.


wardrobe-makeover-into-computer-armoire

And here's one of my most popular summer projects. I used thrifted items to put together these plate flowers.


garden-plate-flowers

Thanks so much for reading. I've enjoyed visiting with you today. I hope you'll stop by The Thrifty Rebel for a visit sometime. 

My door is always open. :)

Tuula :)


3 comments:

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

Tuula, you continue to amaze me with your creativity! Love the snowman and everything else you've made out of the rings. I look forward to being surprised once again with your wonderful ideas!

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

I'm so happy to be guest posting today!! Thanks so much!
Tuula :)

Vanessa said...

Great ornament Ideas!! I need to get more crafty with my ornaments!

Visiting from The Creative Headquarters Blog Hop :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...