Monday, July 9, 2012

Homemade Apple Juice

My mom has an apple tree that produces TONS of apples.  She recently gave me a box full of apples so I decided to make some apple juice. 
Apple juice is SUPER easy to make and the perfect thing to do if you have tons of apples that are not 100% perfect.
You first need to wash your apples.  I just put them all in the sink and washed them all at once.
I then run them all through our juicer.  If you don't have a juicer there are several other methods of making apple juice, but I really recommend just buying one.  It is definitely worth the money!
Here is a link to one. There are several other one on amazon though.
 Juicing the apples is my children's favorite part!  They love putting the apples through the juicer!
Once you juice all the apples I put the juice in a pot and bring it to a boil.  While it is boiling I just scraping the sediment from the top of the juice.
Once I get most of the sediment off, I run the juice through a strainer.  I just use a handkerchief laid in my strainer and it works great!
Then you put it in your jars.
 I did not water bath my juice here because I did not have enough to make it worth my while.  But I have done it before.  Here is the recommended process...
  • Boiling-water bath
  • Pints or Quarts – 10 minutes
  • Half-gallons – 15 minutes

2 comments:

Just Jaime said...

I think you want to avoid apple seeds as they are poisonous. (http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/09/12/yes-apple-seeds-and-cherry-pits-are-poisonous.htm)

On a happier note, this sounds great!

Bridget Miller said...

Yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...