Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Popsicle Shirt

Last week we were given a challenge by the Wayward Girls' Crafts.  They give us one word and see what we come up with.  The word they gave us was: Popsicle.    They also did a spotlight on their blog that you can go and check out here.  


So I thought and thought about what kind of craft I could make that went along with the theme.  We made all kinds of pudding pops.  My husband's favorite was banana.  My daughter loved the chocolate.  And my boys loved the vanilla.  But I didn't want to go with the traditional "popsicle".  So I decided to make a shirt.

I didn't have time to go to the store to pick up a shirt and taking all my kids with me didn't sound like a fun trip, so I decided to sew one.  I picked up some grey jersey fabric on clearance months ago.  I knew that it would come in handy one day...and this was that day!

I took one of my daughter's shirts that fit her good and used it as a pattern.


I cut out a front (the one on the right) and a back (the one on the left.
This fabric is nice because it won't fray, which means that I didn't have to hem the edges.  I just sewed along the sides of the shirt and the shoulders.  I added a ruffled strips for sleeves. The neckline and bottom of the shirt are raw.  You can hem them if you so desire.  (This fabric can be challenging to sew, so just take it slow and you will do fine.)


Once I sewed the shirt, I made sure that it fit and then moved onto the fun stuff!

I had a sheet of hot pink with white polka dots iron on transfer material.  I cut out a popsicle shape, but before I ironed it on, I used a brown ribbon for the popsicle stick.  I sewed the ribbon on and then ironed on the popsicle part.  After it was cool, I sewed around the popsicle part.  (You don't have to sew the iron on transfer, but I liked the way it looks with stitching around it.)

I used my Silhouette to cut out the "So Sweet" part.  I found the saying in the Silhouette store.  I had dark pink heat transfer material that I used for the words. ** Make sure you mirror the image you want to have cut.  Before you iron it onto the shirt, put a thin piece of fabric over the part you are ironing. **


My daughter absolutely loves her Popsicle shirt and I love the price!

5 comments:

Just Jaime said...

Really cute! I love the big Popsicle!

Anonymous said...

Such a fun Summer shirt! Love it!

Unknown said...

So cute!!! I just became a new follower and would love a follow back! Drivenbydesign101.com -Tayli:)

Unknown said...

So cute! I just became a new follower and would love a follow back! www.Drivenbydesign101.com -Tayli:)

Delhia Roberts said...

That's just adorable! I love the way you used the word Popsicle from the Wayward Girls' Crafts challenge to create this very cute shirt, it's very clever. Thank you ever so much for kindly sharing this post at Girly Mondays link party, hope to see you again next week. Have a lovely and girly day, Delhia x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...