Monday, February 20, 2012

Carseat Cover

I have two daughters in car seats right now.  My youngest daughter just out grew her infant car seat.  So she needed an upgrade...

We had an extra seat in my husband's truck that we kept in there just in case he needed to take someone somewhere.  I decided that we needed to move it to the van.

It looked pretty nasty though.  But I do love the car seat.  It is easy to take in and out of the car and is just an overall great seat.  So I made the decision to recover it.  I recovered an infant carrier about three years ago, so I knew the basics of it.

Here is the new and improved seat.

Here is what it looked like before.  Pretty used and abused...

 

I went through my material stash and found some fabric that I ...you guessed it...picked up at a yard sale.  You know me and my yard sales, I can't say no to a good deal. The floral fabric is actually  fabric from the home decor section.  It's pretty sturdy.

I laid out the old cover and cut out new pieces based on the old one.  I cut one piece of fabric for the top and then another one for the back, or lining.  And then I cut two pieces of batting for each piece because I wanted the cover to be nice and comfy.
  
This is what it looks like after I cut all the pieces out and laid it out. 


I sewed each section together to itself.  
Meaning: I sewed the front, 2 pieces of batting and the back all together to form one piece so I could put all the pieces together easier.


Here are all the pieces all sewn and ready to go.


I sewed all the pieces together and sewed "button holes" in the appropriate places for the straps to go through.  This was the most challenging part for me because in the middle of sewing a button hole, my thread ran out and I didn't have any more left in the whole house.  Just my luck!  So I had to put the whole project on hold. But after a few days, I went to the store and picked up some much needed thread and finished those button holes.

So for this next part, I cut a 4 inch strip and sewed it to the whole cover.  This is the part that will keep the cover attached to the seat. 

 In most cases, the covers have elastic to hold it onto the seat snugly.  I didn't have any elastic, so I decided to sew pleats instead.  

To do this, I put the cover on the seat and pinned various pleats onto the cover until I felt that the cover would be secure enough.  Then I sewed the pleats.  The pleats work great and look crisp and clean.

I attached a binding to the edge to cover all those stitches and edges. 


All finished and I'm loving it!

And now my daughters sit side by side and hold hands and wear their sunglasses.  Life is good!



Don't forget to vote for us on Picket Fence!  It just takes one click...

14 comments:

ErikaV said...

This is precious! You did a great job, Briana :)

Stephanie said...

Looks awesome! I never did get brave enough to do carseat covers for my girls--my son has about a year left in his. Not sure that will happen :)

Brooke said...

I had to laugh when I saw this! I recovered this EXACT car seat last week! Mine had a denim cover that had worn out. :)

Andrea @ Decorating Cents said...

This looks awesome. I should do this for my daughter's old car seat since we may have to re-use it for a future son.

Angela said...

Looks awesome! I recovered my great nephew's car seat before he was born in camo lol His parents have loved it.

Christine said...

My daughter soooo needs her carseat cushion pimped-up!! Feel free to make one for her :) hehe

Katie @ Little Becky Homecky said...

This is sooo cute! Great job!!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I'm loving it too - what a fantastic job!!

Jen Lossing, Artistic Abode Designs said...

This looks great. You make it look so easy. I hope I can follow your pattern one day!

Unknown said...

One day I am going to do this for my two youngest. Yours turned out fantastic!! I would love it if you would be willing to share at our party going on now-Monday. Thanks

http://www.kadie-sevenalive.blogspot.com/2012/02/link-it-up-thursday-8.html

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

I like your new seat cover a ton better! Happy to have you at Things I've Done Thursday!! www.bearrabbitbear.com

Unknown said...

You are a genious! What a great upcylce! I am hosting my 2nd link party, and would love for you to add this along with anything else you like!

http://www.mom4realky.blogspot.com/2012/02/4-real-friday-link-party-2.html

Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Your seat cover turned out beautifully!

Heather Green said...

This is so cute! I haven't been brave enough to attempt a carseat cover, but we have an ugly one that can use massive improving! Yours is awesome! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...