Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Double Bubble Tulle Skirt

 My daughter loves to wears skirts!  She wears a skirt everyday, even if it is over her jeans!  It's just a part of her daily clothing requirements.  She loves to dance and twirl all day! So I decided to make her a "puffy" skirt, or most commonly called a bubble skirt.  I call this my Double Bubble Tulle Skirt because both the skirt and the tulle is "bubbled".


Before I begin the tutorial I wanted to thank you to everyone who voted for my "Repurpose: Adult Camisole into Girls Petal Shirt".  I made it to the third round of So You Think You Can Sew!  Thank you to everyone who voted for me!

 



 Here are the instructions:

I started out with some fabric I bought at a yard sale.
  I bought lots of fabric at yard sales a few years ago when I lived in Arizona.  See here and here for more projects I sewed with fabric from yard sales.

I cut 18 inches wide of fabric.  I just used the length of the fabric.  

I needed a lining.  So I used an old black slip that I had that didn't fit anymore.  (It's one of those items that never quite fit the same after having kids.)  

I sewed the material onto the slip.  The material was wider than the slip, so I pleated the fabric about every inch so it would fit.  And put right sides together.  This is what it looked like:

On the other side of the fabric, I turned it over 3 inches for the waist.

I sewed two lines for the elastic.  I wanted a little gather at the top.  And I left a half inch at the bottom.  I will show you why later.  Don't forget to leave space to put your elastic in.


After I put the elastic it, I evened out the gathers.  Now I have had clothing where the elastic turns around in the casing.  It drives me crazy!  So I stretch out the elastic after putting it in the skirt and I sew right down the middle of it so it won't flip over.  If you look closely, you can see the stitches I made. Now that elastic is staying put!  :)


So this is what the skirt looks like with the slip pulled out. 

Now is the time to cut the slip (or lining) part down.  I cut the slip 4 inches from the hem I made.

Remember when I said that you would need that half an inch from the bottom of your elastic?  Well, this is when you need it.  Pull the lining up to the hem and pin it together.  Do the best you can and make sure it is as even as you can get it.  And then sew it together.  This is probably the hardest part of the skirt.


This is what the skirt looks like after being sewed. 
 

After I got to this point, I decided that I wanted something more to the skirt. I decided to "bubble" some black tulle to put underneath the skirt. I didn't take any pictures of this part, but I will explain what I did.  I cut 10 inch strips of tulle.  I used about 3 long strips.  I folded them in half long ways and gathered it.  This made the "bubble".  I cut 4 inches off of the slip that I used for the skirt.  I sewed the tulle to that part of the slip.  I sewed on two layers of gathered tulle.  Then I took my slip of tulle and sewed it onto that half inch of material below the elastic.  


 She loves to dance and play in her new skirt!



Remember to vote for us daily on Picket Fence- Just click this button! 

35 comments:

tammy said...

Love! She is getting so big, too!

Unknown said...

She is just too cute. She is working that new skirt pretty good! Very adoreable!

Just Jaime said...

What a cutie! The skirt is so sassy!

Unknown said...

What a doll your little model is! I love that skirt - such a clever idea! :D

Unknown said...

So cute. My granddaughter wants to wear skirts every day too, and she puts together some pretty wild outfits. I was looking for something just like this to make for her birthday, she will love it! Good luck in the contest! I love all the projects so far and it has been hard to vote for just one since I want you all to win!

Kim said...

Love your fabric choices! Just voted for you :) Thanks for linking up to Trendy Tots! Good luck!

Jessica @ Sunny Tuesday said...

This is adorable!

Unknown said...

So very cute! I love it!

Oh, boy. Oh, joy! said...

Adorable, thanks for the tutorial!

Miriam@BeBookBound said...

so cute! And looks like I might actually be able to piece something together that comes close to looking like that... We'll see. :)

WhyCuzICan said...

Very cute redo! Yup, went a voted :)

Visiting from Blissful & Domestic linky party-- thanks for sharing :D
Smiles, Suzanne in NW Illinois at WhyCuzICan

Blissful & Domestic said...

This is fantastic!! I love everything!! Congress on the competition:) heading over to vote:)

THanks for linking up and sharing on Blissful and Domestic;(

Pinafores and Pinwheels said...

cute!

Cari said...

Thanks so much for the inspiration! I saw you featured on SYTYCS, and I had the perfect remnant find from Joann Fabrics so I made a bubble skirt today :)

Cari said...

thanks for the inspiration! I saw this on Mommy by Day...Crafter by Night, and I had the PERFECT remnant find from Joann Fabrics, so I threw it together today. No tulle, but the fabric is satiny and sparkly, so I think that's enough for my 3yr old princess :)

Thanks again!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

How adorable is that skirt and the little model it is on?! Love it!
Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party. I'll be featuring this tomorrow. :)

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Beautiful! Congrats on making it to another round. Glad to have you at Things I've Done Thursday!

Melanie
www.bearrabbitbear.com

Carrie said...

What a great skirt and a great tutorial! Thank you for sharing it at Sharing Saturday!

Brave Brooke said...

I am totally going to make this for my daughter! Your little model is too cute. I love the silky fabric you used!

If you're interested, we're hosting our first ever link up party. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/01/wayward-weekend-week-1.html

Heather Green said...

The skirt is so cute, but OH MY WORD... your little model is beyond adorable!!

Jill said...

Beautiful! And congrats on continuing to do so well in the so you think you can sew contest!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Your little one is mean to be in front of a camera. The skirt is adorable and thanks for sharing the great tutorial. So lovely, she looks like one happy girl to have a Mom like you to make her such lovely clothes. Thanks for sharing you creative inspiration at Sunday's Best party!

Christine said...

I love it!! It's soooo stylish!!

Check out my blog too:
http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/

Christine said...

I love it!!! It's sooo stylish!!

Check out my blog too:
http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/

raising4princesses said...

I LOVE the things you make. I'm so inspired! Hope to see you at the T' Time party again this week. If you're interested it's http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/ Have a lovely day, Maria

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

How cute and adorable! You are so talented! Your little model must inspire you! Thanks for sharing!

Kristen @ Ladybug Blessings said...

awww this is super cute and you have an adorable model! Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blesings.com

Unknown said...

Oh my, this skirt is adorable!! I would LOVE it if you would be willing to share at our link party going on now-Monday. Thanks

http://www.kadie-sevenalive.blogspot.com/2012/01/link-it-up-thursday-4.html

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

This was the Most Viewed Link over at Pomp Party:)
http://www.joyinthejumble.com/2012/01/pomp-party-2-features.html

Amanda Joy
Joy in the Jumble

The mum of all trades said...

thank you so much for linking this to my blog party, I really appreciate it! Hope to see you again soon x

Julie said...

Thanks for linking up to Show Your Stuff, Your invited to come back this week:

http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/01/show-your-stuff-8.html

Jami said...

Your skirt (and model) are the CUTEST!! Thanks for stopping by and linking up to the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

D+B said...

CUte blog!!! I found you on a link party!! I am your newest follower!!! I would love it if you would want to check out my blog to and follow me back would be great!! I would to feature your blog sometime!!

-Brooke
For-the-luv-of.blogspot.com

Brooke said...

What a cute skirt, two of my girls must wear dresses or skirts just about every day also. I always look forward to seeing what you have to share on Monday Madness.

Blissful & Domestic said...

I just wanted to let you know I featured your adorable skirt on Blissful and Domestic tonight. Stop by and grab a button:>

http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2012/02/25-wearable-refashions.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...