Monday, August 22, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent


1 laundry bar, any brand, grated up finely
1 1/2 cups Borax
3 cups Washing Soda
After you have grated the laundry bar, combine the Borax and Washing Soda in a large bowl.All you need is 1 Tablespoon of the detergent for a normal size load. If you have heavier soiled clothes or a larger load use 2 Tbs. Be sure to store it in an airtight container, which I use used icecream or licorice buckets. Works great and love to recycle containers.

There are only 3 ingredients in this laundry detergent. No fillers or harmful chemicals in it. You know exactly what is in it! You can find all the ingredients in the same soap isle. Use any brand of laundry bar that is avaliable. It really has no fragrance in it either. But if you want your laundry to smell pretty you can add a few drops of essential oils to the water. You can buy a 2 year supply of detergent for under $50. How about that kind of savings!

4 comments:

cami said...

Does it get you laundry really clean?? What's your experience in using it so far?? Our laundry get really dirty.;)

Bridget Miller said...

Well, I have been using this recipe for over a year. It cleans really, really well. The first time that I made it, it was a noticeable difference of how clean everything was. The only thing I didn't like was that it really doesn't have a strong smell. I like the "Ahh, freshly clean " smell. But as long as I have smelly dryer sheets the laundry smells great.

Bridget Miller said...

I also had concerns about it dissolving in cold water. But it dissolves great as well. Never had a problem.

Shannon said...

I just made this recipe and tried it out tonight. I didn't grate the laundry bar as finely as I should have (it actually looked like real, grated cheddar cheese!) and I accidently had my nephew grate 2 bars so I just doubled the other ingredients and have enough to last me a long time! I was skeptical about only using 1 tablespoon, so for good measure I also added 1 tablespoon in the wash drum. We have a "high efficiency" front loading washer and, again, wasn't sure how well this recipe would work. I couldn't wait for the cycle to be done! I heard the beeping and headed straight for the laundry room... I know, it's kind of sad what things get me excited these days! Anyway, I pulled out a few pieces of clothing... sniffed them... inspected them... and it worked! They have a nice, crisp clean smell to them (our local grocery carries a "smelly" brand of laundry soap). I will try more loads tomorrow (am I really getting excited about doing laundry?!) and look at the dirty clothes before I put them in so I can say for sure that I've found a great dirt fighter! I wanted to say THANKS for the post... and helping this family of 4 be a little "greener" and budget wise! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...