Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lamp Makeover

I have been looking for a lamp to put in my daughters room.  I finally found one at a thrift store yesterday for $1.41. I have no idea where they got that price, but yes, $1.41.
After the makeover- the lamp is so cute and goes with Madi's room so well!!
Here is the lamp before, I know- not very girly.  It definitely needed a makeover. 
 I did not want to spend any money, so I gathered items around the house- 
Spray Paint, Hot Glue, Lace and Material
I started to make flowers out of the material and glue them on the lamp shade.  I did not really know what kind of pattern I wanted, so I just started making them and gluing them on.
Here is how I made the flowers...
Tear the material in about a 3 inch strip and tie a knot at the end.
Twist and glue the material as you twist it around the knot.
Keep twisting and gluing until you get the desired size of the flower.
Here is what the lamp looks like after.  I spray painted the base of it white and added flowers all over the lampshade.
Before Makeover
After Makeover

 My daughters room with the lamp in it.

13 comments:

Bridget Miller said...

Love the flowers! Great makeover!

Unknown said...

ADORABLE!

Andrea @ Sew Divertimento said...

This looks fabulous!! I have a lamp awaiting a makeover as well. I'll have to add some flowers to it! Spray paint has recently become my best friend. =)

Danielle said...

Too cute, I have to do some more decorating- well more like a whole bunch in my twin girls room and I really like this idea!

Mimi said...

What a difference the flowers and paint make. I love this lamp! Thanks for sharing :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

This is so super duper cute...love the shade!!Come by and join me at my weekly NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY PARTY…hope to see ya there!

Blessings,
Linda

Amanda Wood said...

Could you make one for my room??? Haha I love that little lamp!

Found you through the Saturday is Crafty Day link-up.

Lindsay said...

What a difference it makes! Great job, love all the colors that you added! Thanks for linking up at Show & Share!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet!
I LOVE what you did. And what a good deal!

So, I have a question: what's the rule of thumb on lamp safety? I want to do something similar, but I had no idea how to know what was safe in terms of the heat of the lamp (fire hazard...).

Thanks,
Meredith

~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking



A Mother Seeking...




This week, "When Life Hands You Lemons..."

Babblings and More said...

Meredith,
I found a little article about Lampshade Safety in the home magazine, it says...

"Lampshades must be functional and beautiful. Embellish an existing shade instead of creating one from scratch so that you meet flammability requirements. Make sure that any additions to the lampshade don't touch the light bulb. You'll need to use a low-watt bulb under a homemade lampshade for safety. The Home and Garden Television website suggests using a 25- to 40-watt bulb for crafted lampshades."

I have left this lamp on all day, and there is not even a hint of heat under the shade. I use a 13 watt bulb bought at Lowes.

Good luck on your project!

Brooke

Camille said...

This turned out so cute! I am so happy that you came and linked up this week to our link party! We will be featuring your wreath on Saturday, so come by and grab a button! And we would love to have you link up again this week!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

(V.Kerr) School Time Adventures said...

$1.41, love it. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Your lamp looks so pretty now - much better for your little girl too. Thank you for sharing your idea. God bless x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...