Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant and Ghost Cupcakes


Aren't these ghosts the cutest thing? They are so easy to make. We made these two years ago and I almost forgot about them.  I'm so glad I didn't!


Start off by making some yummy cupcakes.
I love using Cream Cheese frosting!  (Recipe is at the end of the post.) It's my all time favorite!
And we dyed it green.

To make the ghosts, we stacked two mini reeses peanut butter cups on top of each other followed by a whopper.  We "glued" them together with the frosting.

Next, we rolled out some fondant (Recipe is at the end of the post) and cut them into circles.  Don't forget to put down some extra powdered sugar when rolling out the fondant.  We cut out little circles for the eye and the mouth.  And then we draped the fondant over the "ghost tower".

We had an assembly line for the kids to walk down and put together their ghosts.  They thought it was the neatest thing!  

Perfect for a fun Halloween activity.


Cream Cheese Frosting

1 package Cream Cheese (softened)
1 cube butter (softened)
1 tsp. vanilla
Powdered sugar

Mix together the  cream cheese and butter.  Slowly add the powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency.  Add the vanilla.



Marshmallow Fondant 
My sister-in-law and I went to a cupcake class a couple years ago and was introduced to this fondant recipe.  It is easy to make and tastes good too!  I've kept in stored in my fridge up to a year and use it whenever I need it.

16 ounces white mini- marshmallow (use a good quality brand)
2 to 5 TBS water
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 cup Crisco shortening or butter (you will be digging into it so place it in a very easily accessed bowl)

Note: This first stage can get very hot, so please be careful

Melt marshmallows and 2 TBS of water in a microwave.  Stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
It usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes total.  Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.

Grease your hands generously (palms, backs and in between fingers), then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow and powdered sugar in the middle.

Start kneading like you would bread dough. It will be hot, so be careful!  You will see why you grease your hand at this point!

Keep kneading, this stuff is very sticky at this stage!  Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more.  Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant starts sticking.  If the mix is tearing easily, it is too dry, so add water (about 1/2 TBS at a time and then knead it in).  It usually takes about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cupcakes.

Store in ziplock bag in the refrigerator.


24 comments:

Laura said...

ooooh! They look so yummy and just spooky enough;) I don't bake much but I'm gonna try to talk my sister into making these for our family Halloween party!

Samantha @ Little Painted Canvas said...

Ooh! I LOVE these! How cute and yummy.

I may have to whip up some of these this weekend and I was also in need of a good fondant recipe, so this comes at the perfect time. Thank you!

And those are some very precious little guys. I have three little fellows at home and I have to say, little boys are the best.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

These cupcakes are so cute, I wish I was more creative with my cupcake decorating.

We would love to see these linked-up on THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS "Halloween" Linky Party, please stop by if you wish and link up!

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/10/this-weeks-cravings-52-halloween-candy.html

Blessings from Cindy said...

I'm your newest follower!
Blessings,
Cindy

Marilyn said...

YOU W O N the Milestone GIVEAWAY!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! Please see HERE - http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/milestonephoto-giveaway.html
(Please email me your info via theartsygirlconnection@gmail.com) TY SO MUCH FOR PLAYING!!!

Stacy said...

Newest Follower! Thanks for visiting Stacy's Savings & Other Stuff!

Jenny said...

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Following back from http://aworldofcrafts.blogspot.com/

Malia said...

Stopping by for the blog hop! I'm now following!

http://livinthemommylife.blogspot.com

Mom Fashion World said...

Oh, those are cute cupcakes!
The kids did a great job decorating them.

By the way, I'm your newest follower via GFC from the Thursday Blog Hop.
Please feel free to visit my blog. Looking forward to seeing you there, and hope you follow me back. Thanks!

http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

Ooh! This looks yummy and something even my 8 year old son would enjoy making! Thanks for sharing, I am your newest follower :)

Mary http://piccolajellyfish.blogspot.com

Monica J @ Sofamilyonline said...

Okay, I'm a lover of all cupcakes. Luv, luv, luv. These cupcakes are adorable. I also have to say that I love the idea of sisters babbling about the things they enjoy and family. Nice touch. I'm following from the Blog Hop! I'll be back soon. Cheers!

Alana said...

These are great! Glad I was able to find your blog and can now follow!

Hyacinth said...

This is an amazing blog!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

These are so cute! They look so professional. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

THOSE ARE ADORABLE!!!!! My daughter looked over my shoulder & said -ooooh are you making those for us! Seriously, super cute & creative! Thanks so much for sharing on Living Life Intentionally Linky Party!
Beth =-)

Blissful & Domestic said...

you're such a fun mom. Love these cupcakes! Thanks for linking up and sharing:>

Melissa @ LoveBugLiving said...

Such a cute idea!

Melissa
www.lovebugliving.com

KB said...

Looks delish!

We'd love for you to share your recipes with us at

Simply Delish Saturday

Jill said...

This is too cute! Looks like you all had lots of fun making them!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

These are sooo adorable! Love them!
Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

annies home said...

how cute

cabinet first aid kits said...

These are so adorable and a wonderful treat for Halloween! It will be best for enjoying holloween party in any time. I hope my small sister like to eat it.

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

Your boys are too cute! What a fun and delicious project for the kids - thanks for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday!

Ashley said...

how fun:) and cute!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...