Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Gathering Foot


I know that there are so many of you that are sewers.  I usually go through different phases: sewing, card making, jewerly making, etc.

Well, I am in my sewing phase.  And after having 5 boys, I am having so much fun sewing for my two little girls!

Now sewing for girls generally requires ruffles, which I love!  I am in the process of making a Princess dress for my two year old and it will have a lot of ruffles.  

I have always made ruffles by sewing a long stitch and then pulling the ends.  There has to be an easier way...

I looked into getting a Ruffler foot and then found this little baby.  I have a Husqvarna Viking sewing machine and this is the gathering foot made by them.  It is different from a ruffler foot.


Ruffler Foot: picture from here.

Gathering Foot, this is what I bought : picture from here. 
  It will gather and sew the material onto whatever fabric you want it to go on in one step!  

If you look at the picture above, you can see the two pieces of material.  The bottom piece is the one that is being gathered.  It is also being sewn onto the top piece of material that is being fed into the slot in the foot at the same time.  I just used it and it was amazing!  You can also use it to gather only. (Which I will have to do for part of the dress.)

I will post the dress another day, I'm still working on it.  But, I have so many other projects I am excited to try!

If you are looking for a gathering foot, you can find them on Amazon for VERY good prices...

3 comments:

Bridget Miller said...

No way! I didn't know that there was such a thing. That is too cool!

Sarah said...

Oh goodness, I haven't seen one of those in a long time. I have generally have my ruffler foot on my machine at least once a week, but now I might have to hunt down a gathering foot and make things easier.

Angela said...

I found mine the other day & I can't remember the last time it was even attached to my machine :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...