Friday, May 9, 2014

Homemade Lavender Oatmeal Soap

This past week, I taught my daughter's Preschool group and decided to get the girls together (it is a sweet little class of only girls) and make a Mother's Day present.  I decided that homemade soap would be fun and easy!

So I gather together a few ingredients and we went to work melting and stirring, and then ended the project with wrapping and tying.  It was fun and the girls loved every part of the project! 

This is a neat project to experiment with, so give it a try.  It's not an exact science, just hands on and lots of fun!
 
 I just want to add a little disclaimer. I am not a professional soap maker, just a Mom who likes to mix things together and have fun! My kids love to make their own different versions and experiments.
 

Homemade Lavender Oatmeal Soap

Ingredients and Supplies
Blocks of glycerin soap (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby.  
It came in a bag.  When I melted it down, I used about 1 1/4 cup.)
1/4 Coconut oil (not necessary, but great for moisturizing)
Food coloring (optional)
Fragrance (I used a couple drops of DoTerra's Lavender Essential Oil)
Handful of Oatmeal
Bread Pan
Cooking Spray
Wax Paper
Wrapping Material (for cuteness)
 
Start out by preparing the bread pans.  You can use whatever type of mold you want the soap to take shape into.  I used two small loaf pans and cut three blocks of soap from each pan.  Line the pans with wax paper the best you can and then spray with cooking spray.

Melt the blocks of soap in the microwave for 30 seconds intervals, stirring between times.  After melted, add the coconut oil, food coloring, and fragrance.  If needed, put in the microwave again to keep the liquid form. After all ingredients are mixed, pour into pans.  Add a sprinkle of oatmeal, I pushed the oatmeal into the soap with a spoon, and allow to cool. 

After the soap is back in it's solid form, lift out of the pan with the wax paper and cut into pieces.  We made 6 bars of soap with this recipe.  Wrap and enjoy the luxury of homemade soap!
 
 
Briana

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been making bar soap for my family for almost a year now, and I have tried different methods and a variety of recipes.. I must say natural soaps are best treat you can give to your skin.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...