Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Little Princess

My little girl is all GIRL!  She loves to wear dresses!  In fact, everyday when it's time to get dressed, she states that she needs to wear a dress or a skirt so she can dance.  Having a girl is definitely different than having boys!

So for Halloween, all my boys get their costumes out of our costume box.  Unfortunately, there aren't any little girl costumes.  So I had to change that!

For this little dress, I used everything to make it from what I had here at home:
For the skirt part (underneath the ruffles) I used an old slip that I had.
For all the ruffles and teal part of the bodice, I used some material I picked up at a yard sale about a year ago for 25 cents!  I can't ever pass up on cheap fabric.
I used some satin ribbon for the trim on the bodice.
I used some white fabric I had for the bodice as well.
A zipper that I had stashed away.


I started off by getting one of her old shirts and cut out my white fabric.  For the front part of the bodice, I folded the shirt in half and the white fabric in half and then cut on the fold.


I repeated the step above for the teal part.


For the back part, I used the same shirt and cut out two pieces of fabric. I did a baste stitch to hold the two pieces together.


I wanted a little gather in the front, so I cut a piece of fabric and gathered both edges and then sewed it onto the shimmery part of the bodice.


Then I did a basting stitch to hold these two pieces together.


After that, I stopped taking pictures.  Sorry.  I didn't realize it until after I was done.  That's what I get for multitasking too many projects at once!  :)

But I sewed three pieces of ribbon onto the gathered part of the bodice to secure it and hide my stitching.  I also made little flowers out of the ribbon with pearl beads in the center and sewed it onto the top of the bodice.

I made little sleeves from cutting the outline of the same shirt from above.  Then I pieced everything together. 

For the ruffles, I cut strips of fabric 10 inches wides and about 50 inches long.  I folded them in half length wise, and sewed them and then gathered them.  And then I sewed all the gathers to the skirt.

I attached the bodice to the skirt and added the zipper.  I wished that I took pictures of all the steps, I will have to remember that next time!

It was kind of cold out, so she wore a long sleeve shirt underneath the dress.


What a beautiful little princess that twirled all night long and loved the candy she got in return!

I entered this dress in the So you Think You Can Sew Competition.  And I made it into the top 12!  This is huge!  There were 127 entries and some amazing talent!

Starting January 2012, I will be competing in the contest!  Wish me luck! ~Briana

21 comments:

Noel said...

Love it!! Her hair is adorable too! =)

Blissful & Domestic said...

absolutely gorgeous I love that skirt!

Cathy @My 1929 Charmer said...

What more can I say, toooo cute. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best. Appreciate it. Likey your blog.

Fiona said...

The dress and the daughter are completely gorgeous. I just found your blog and love it!

Bridget Miller said...

That is Amazing Briana!

Jill said...

What a gorgeous girly girly dress! Great job!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Andrea @Oasis Accents said...

What an adorable costume (and little girl). Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best! =)

The Rosenau's said...

This is so pretty my daughter would love a dress like this!

Julianne
www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

newyearsresolutionexercise said...

Wow you are very creative.New follower.
http://newyearsresolutionexercise.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

she is precious.

April said...

Aww! she looks adorable!

Sara said...

So pretty! Would love it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/11/turquoise-lovin-12.html

Christie said...

So adorable, great job!

Judy Bisaya said...

its nice! good job! Ive been trying to follow you but I can't. I wonder whats wrong. an

Anonymous said...

Great job! Girls are so much fun! (from a mom with two girly-girls herself :D)

Alida - Radcrafter said...

My daughter would love this! The more sparkly and ruffled the better.

I would love to invite you to share this at my Thingamajig Thursday party...http://radcrafter.com/2011/11/thingamajig-thursday-party-2/

Alida

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Wonderful job on her dress! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!


Melanie
Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

What a lovely dress for a lovely princess! I have a little sewing and fabric craft linky party I'm starting tomorrow and I was wondering if you could be so kind to stop by and post it? Thanks so much!
Sew Country Chick

Jami said...

Cutest princess dress EVER!!! What a lucky little girl to have such a crafty mommy! Thanks for sharing your sweet dress at the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

Mom Daughter Style said...

thanks for the idea. i would like to do this for my daughter

www.momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com

Alida - Radcrafter said...

Thanks so much for sharing on Thingamajig Thursday!

Hope to see you again soon.

Alida
radcrafter.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...