Thursday, March 22, 2012

Portabella Pizzas

My husband is on a really strict diet, so I have been trying to find ways to keep things fun and interesting.  This week I made some Portabella Mushroom Pizzas that he absolutely LOVED!  Here is the recipe...


Portabella Pizzas

Ingredients: 
Large Portabella Mushrooms (each mushroom is a serving- so if you have 4 people, you need 4 mushrooms)
Mozzarella Cheese
Pizza Sauce or Canned Tomatoes
Toppings of your choice-  (we used cooked turkey bacon, pineapple, olives, ect)

Directions: 

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Remove mushroom stems and set aside. Place mushrooms on a baking sheet (I lined it with tin foil and sprayed with cooking spray- less of a mess.) Bake mushrooms for 8 minutes.  While mushrooms are baking- get toppings ready. Remove mushrooms from oven and blot the excess liquid from mushroom caps.  Add sauce, cheese and toppings to your mushrooms and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
 

 I also used the left over toppings for a salad that was really yummy!

Don't forget to vote for us on Picket Fence!

13 comments:

Just Jaime said...

This is so smart but I never would have thought of it on my own. Thanks so much for sharing!

Melissa, SoChick! said...

Yum, I love portobello mushrooms! Another tasty way to eat them is in a pita, like a burger... delish!

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

Mmm... these are making me hungry. I love the combo of turkey bacon and pineapple... I need to try these. My kids love to do "make your own" pizzas... I'm thinking we could do "make your own portabella pizzas!" Thanks for the inspiration!!

Rose Clearfield said...

Awesome recipe! I never would have thought to do this with portabellos. There are so many possibilities for toppings.

Shiloh said...

woohoo!! what a fantastic GF "pizza" recipe! I love mushrooms, and I bet this would taste SOO good. Thanks so much for the idea.

Toodie said...

I've made lots of things using portobellos, but never even thought of pizza. You're a genius! Thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

Pizzas on mushrooms - this is brilliant!! I love this idea and am pinning it to try myself sometime! Thanks for the inspiration!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

these are great! I absolutely love mushroom anything and have been a total "healthy pizza" junkie lately lol. I never would have thought to add the pineapple though.. I might have to give that a try!

suzyhomemaker said...

I saw this on pinterest and thought I needed to try it. This post reminds me that I want to do it...sooner rather than later.

Lisa said...

How fun! What a great idea! I know I'd love this :)

Chandra said...

Much better than all the carbs in crust! And easy to make...yum!

Chandra
astylishlittlelady.blogspot.com

Haydn and Kristy @ Taste Buds said...

Interesting concept. I love port. mushrooms (any mushroom really). They also make really interesting "meatballs" for pasta as well.

Haydn

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I really need to give this a try!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...